Thursday, June 08, 2006

Run Abu Run!!!

Abu Musab al-Zarqaqi is dead. I guess he couldn't run fast enough in those New Balance sneakers. Upon hearing the news this morning I was struck with relief and joy. The Christian in me wants to say "May God have mercy on his soul." But today the Christian is outweighed by the sinner in me who says, "Burn in Hell you son of a bitch." Please, God, forgive me.

I'm already trying to think about how this is going to play out in politics and the media. On the Today show this morning I was pleased to see Senator Joe Biden exclaim this is "good news." But then he quickly went back to criticizing Rumsfeld and the war. I suspect the honeymoon may last until lunchtime today.

Where is Representative Murtha? I'm guessing he called in sick this morning. He has been saying for months we should pull out of Iraq immediately. If he had his way, Zarqawi would still be sneaking in the shadows. He would still be gathering support. He would still be recruiting young Muslims to attack us. He would still be seeking ways to harm America...to kill us. What say you now, Mr. Murtha? We probably won't see him on television for a month or so.

I suspect we'll see a little uptick in the President's approval rating. Maybe two points. Pundits on CNN will quickly point out this is a result of getting Zarqawi, but it is only temporary. They will downplay this event. They will point out Osama Bin Laden is still out there. Then they will go back to talking about Haditha with a little Abu Ghraib and NSA mixed in. Next week, things will go back to the way they were before the 500 ton bomb was dropped. C'est la guerre. But for today, is sure feels good.